


Well, yesterday evening, Amy and I got back from Alabama with the boys around 7:00ish. The unspoken plan was to unpack, check out the new swing set, eat supper, relax, and go to bed. I hadn't penciled in a poisonous spider bite, and late night trip to the ER, but that is what happened! Chase and Erick decided to ride the 4 wheelers up to Granddaddy's shop to get something, and when Chase got his helmet out, there was a spider-web on it. Erick came over and wiped off the web, and shook the helmet out, gave it a quick look for spiders, and didn't see anything so off they went. When they got back, Chase took the helmet off and told Erick he felt like his body just got shocked. Erick just blew it off (our kids say weird stuff ALOT) since that is all he said and he just wandered off toward the house. By the time he got to the back door, he was in pain and crying hard. He told me something hurt his ear, and he thought it might be a spider because of the web he had seen on his helmet. I looked at his ear, which was really red, but didn't see anything that looked like a bite, and I thought it may just be red from him rubbing it. I got him some ice to put on it, but he was REALLY crying hard, and sporadically yelling out in pain, so I laid him on the couch and went out to see what Erick thought happened. He thought Chase might be exaggerating a little because of seeing the web, and I thought maybe he had just been stung by something but Erick went over and got the helmet anyway to look and sure enough, this is what we found!!!!!!!! I was pretty sure it was a black widow so Erick told me to call Christina to see if she thought that meant an ER trip was needed asap, and she agreed. She was sweet enough to call the ER charge nurse for us (whom she knew) and let him know we were coming. Ju Ju came over and got Mason, and we loaded up Chase, his ice pack, and the (STUPID) spider in a bottle, and headed for the emergency room. He did great, and the doctor said that since he was bit in the ear (not a lot of blood flow), and he didn't seem to have any symptoms that it was serious he thought he would be fine. He said they could give him the anti-venom stuff?? but that he didn't think it was necessary and that they usually do that only in the more severe cases. We just got some antibiotics and Benadryl and were told to watch him for several hours to make sure he didn't get any of the symptoms, which he didn't so all is good! Here are some pictures of the spider that bit our sweet little boy! Chase hates him pretty good and plans to put a firecracker in the bottle when Erick gets home. (Only my husband would come up with a plan like that, huh?)



8 comments:
OMG! I would have absoluetly died! I'm glad Chase is okay.
Poor little guy. Nasty looking spider but it sounds like Chase was tough!
Okay, I must be losing my marbles, I swear you told me it was Mason! I have been telling Brian, Kyla, Jill, and my brother that it was him! Well, I am now feeling like and idiot and hoping that Chase feels better soon, since I have been thinking it was Mason all day! When you told me Chase wanted to help kill it, I just thought he was being a cool protective brother! Good grief!
Chase, you are so tough, I owe you an ice cream!
Sorry, I got click happy and my comment posted twice, I think i need to go to bed:)
Okay no way would I have been that calm. Spider bites are awful. Chase was very brave.
What a night! Glad you knew to go to the ER.... Spiders have always been creepy to me.
Glad your nightmare is over and Chase is okay. Bless his heart. Karson was ready to visit him in the hospital =).
Post a Comment