
Last night at like 10:00, the boys and Erick went outside to put Bailey up for the night. They were out there for a long time so I walked out on the back deck to see what they were doing. Chase informed me that they were going to sleep outside. I said "Oh really, and where outside are you going to sleep?" To which he replied "In the back of the toynoda." (which is Chase slang for Erick's toyota truck) A few minutes later Erick came in and got pillows, exercise mats, and sleeping bags. They built a little tiny fire and Erick covered the bed of the truck with a tarp. That is one of the things I love about Erick. When the boys, at the very last minute, throw out the ridiculous idea of sleeping in the bed of the truck, he says "Why not?". I was inside working on some pictures I had taken so I took a break to go see their set-up and of course, take pictures... I kissed them goodnight and came back in to finish up on the computer. I was pretty excited to have the bed all to myself and read my new book without any interruptions!! But when I finished working, I had to go out one more time to check on all of my boys and when I did it was so sweet to hear them in the dark, under our "redneck tent", laughing and acting silly having SO much fun knowing that they were doing something new and fun (and weird). When Chase looked up and saw me, he said "Mommy, why don't you change your mind and camp out with us?". As much as I did not want to sleep outside in the bed of an old dirty truck and as much as I was looking forward to my book and a bed to myself, I just could not pass up a moment like that with my boys. I always try not to be the person that gets caught up in their life and says no all the time. All of the day to day stuff that we think is important just really isn't. And this just reminds me of that. No one would have thought "Hey sleeping outside in a truck won't be so bad, let's do it." But I am so glad I did. It was one night, it didn't kill me and it is a memory that my boys will always love. I have all the rest of my nights to sleep in my bed. What a weird but super fun Saturday night we had :)



4 comments:
How cool! I personally would have to have all my indoor amenities so props to all of you!
You have an awesome family! What a great idea..... I'm not sure I would have slept outside. You are right about living a little and saying "yes" to things that you may not really want to do. I bet you had a good time. I agree, your boys will remember that night forever. Great memory!
Love it! What a super fun memory for you all to have for a lifetime. What a great daddy Erick is! Kudos to you all for making Saturday such a fun family night!
I can't wait to do things like that. Sounds like a lot of fun and something the boys will remember forever.
Post a Comment